Thursday, July 12, 2007

Driving vs Leadership

I have always liked driving, the only problem is I have a poor sense of direction, and I can't read the street directory. But I still drive, why not? Don't ask me to install GPS, it will only make you dumber.

I have always associated driving with leadership. What would you choose as the most important value/values of a leader? Integrity? Humility? Resilience? I would think it's COURAGE.

It takes a lot of courage to drive, just as it takes a lot of courage to be a leader. It's not like you don't know what is on the road, in fact you know what it's like on the road, there is traffic jam somewhere at times, accidents might occur, there are different routes but all seem to be interconnected, you lose your way and you panic and get frantic but nevertheless, somehow you would manage to find your way except that you take a longer time to reach, you get sandwiched between vehicles, you pay a price (ERP lah!) if you do not plan your time well, you meet people driving the same car as you and of course there are different cars (some bigger), some drivers honk at you (or worse point their finger, I leave it to your imagination which one), some cross your path without signalling, P plate drivers tend to be bullied (they assume P plate drivers are kayu), at times you slow down and of course you try to speed but still follow law, and drivers drive with a direction in mind, though there are exceptional.

How about leadership? You know why you choose to lead. You have a vision for your department and for the school. There are people who share the same vision as you, but not all, they may have a bigger agenda. The journey of leadership is never smooth, there are hiccups now and then, but somehow these can be overcome with support and guidance. You feel frustrated sometimes and you just lose your patience. Being the middle manager, you may find yourself caught in between the principal and the teachers. As a young and new HOD, it may take a longer time to be accepted and affirmed. However, if we are courageous to embark on this leadership journey, we should have what it takes to be a leader.

Driving comes with good practice. You practised on the road, you practised in the circuit, you passed your test and you got the licence to drive. Leadership is the reverse. You are appointed HOD, then you practise, and you learn on the job. I have learnt to drive a car, now I must learn to drive my department in the right direction. I passed my driving only at the second test, as I failed the first time I took the test. Can I afford to fail in leading as well? Frankly speaking I'm scared of failing. I have taken up the post without a licence to drive first and I'm scared of not able to steer the department well.

However, I'm still glad I started driving "young", and took up the challenge then. Youth does have its advantage. Other than being more gung-ho, recovery is faster in any sense when you are hurt. However, it takes time to know the roads well in Singapore, and you need wisdom for this, just like in leadership. There are things that I learn while driving. I learn I must give way to traffic police and ambulance, how to give way to them, when to change lanes, how to change lanes, how to be a polite driver, how to stay focused during traffic jams... ... The same goes for being a leader. Learn to compromise, stay focused, know what to anticipate, be understanding and compassionate... ... Most of us are not born drivers. We learn as we drive. Currently I'm still learning how to be a leader with a good sense of direction, to be a leader whom people can follow with ease and feel safe and not afraid of getting lost.

What is leadership then? I think it's very difficult to define and explain leadership. "Leaders don't inflict pain; they bear pain." (Leadership is an Art, Max De Pree). In that case, I don't think I am a good leader, as I think I inflict pain on the other drivers. Sometimes, I refuse to give way, and I honk at others. I suppose it takes time and patience to be a gracious driver who respects other drivers on the road.

At times I would ask myself. Why did I choose to lead? Given another chance to choose, would I want to be a HOT (Happy and Ordinary Teacher)? Or still a HOD? Frankly speaking I really don't know, but I do know I still have the teacher heartbeat. I have been reading books on leadership and I think this is what fits me so far "... ... to be a leader is to enjoy the special privileges of complexity, of ambiguity, of diversity. But to be a leader means, especially, having the opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of those who permit leaders to lead." (Leadership is an Art, Max De Pree) We have been engrossed in making a difference in students' lives, yet we seem to have forgotten that we need to also impact our teachers and make a difference in their lives too.

PS: Please do not ask about the car plate. It was a painful lesson!

4 Comments:

At July 13, 2007 8:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

since it has english words. i shall assume that can tyoed in english ar! hahahs. =)
anywaes . i tot thrusday ue jus drive to school to fetch LUOLAOSHI?
dhens "ping!pang!pong!" ar?

 
At July 13, 2007 8:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

typed**

 
At July 13, 2007 11:54 PM , Blogger angela said...

I pity your English teacher... ...

ms chan

 
At July 14, 2007 1:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home